Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Department of Chemistry, Graduate School of Science, Tohoku University
Aza-Aoba 6-3, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8578, JAPAN
Masahiro Terada was born in Tokyo in 1964. He was graduated from Department of Applied Chemistry, Tokyo Institute of Technology in 1986 and completed his Ph.D. degree in 1993 from Tokyo Institute of Technology. During his Ph.D. study, he was appointed as an assistant professor at Tokyo Institute of Technology (1989-2001). He worked as a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University in 1999-2000 and moved to Tohoku University as an associate professor in 2001. He has been a Professor of Chemistry at the Graduate School of Science, Tohoku University since 2006 and has been appointed to the Dean of Graduate School of Science and Faculty of Science from 2017. He is the recipient of: The Incentive Award in Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Japan (2003), The Chemical Society of Japan Award for Creative Work (2008), Mukaiyama Award (2010), Daiichi-Sankyo Award for Medicinal Organic Chemistry (2011), The Nagoya Silver Medal (2012), Molecular Chirality Award 2015 (2015), and Synthetic Organic Chemistry Award, Japan (2017). His current research interests are the development of new and useful synthetic methodologies based on the design of novel chiral Brønsted acid and base catalysts as well as the utilization of transition metal catalysts.
Selected Recent Publications
(1) “Consecutive O‐S/N‐S Bond Cleavage in Au‐Catalyzed Rearrangement Reactions of Alkynyl N-Sulfinylimines, Hiroki Tashiro, Masahiro Terada, Itaru Nakamura, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. DOI: doi.org/10.1002/anie.202100207
(2) “Enantioselective Protonation through Hydrophosphinylation of 1,1‐Vinyl Azaheterocycle N‐Oxides Catalyzed by Chiral Bis(guanidino)iminophosphorane as Higher Order Organosuperbase” Saikat Das, Qiupeng Hu, Azusa Kondoh, Masahiro Terada, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2021, 60, 1417-1422.
(3) “Development of Chiral Ureates as Chiral Strong Brønsted Base Catalysts” Azusa Kondoh, Sho Ishikawa, Masahiro Terada, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2020, 142, 3724-3728.
(4) “Development of Chiral Organosuperbase Catalysts Consisting of Two Different Organobase Functionalities” Azusa Kondoh, Masafumi Oishi, Hikaru Tezuka, Masahiro Terada, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, 59, 7472-7477.
(5) “Chiral Brønsted Acid-Catalyzed Formal α-Vinylation of Ketones for the Enantioselective Construction of Quaternary Carbon Center” Stavisha Kayal, Jun Kikuchi, Masahiro Shimizu, Masahiro Terada, ACS Catal. 2019, 9, 6846–6850.
(6) “Enantioselective Addition Reaction of Azlactones with Styrene Derivatives Catalyzed by Strong Chiral Brønsted Acids” Jun Kikuchi, Masahiro Terada, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2019, 58, 8458–8462.
(7) “Enantioselective Intramolecular Nicholas Reaction Catalyzed by Chiral Phosphoric Acid: Enantio-convergent Synthesis of Seven-membered Cyclic Ethers from Racemic Diols”, Y. Ota, A. Kondoh, M. Terada, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 13917-13921.
(8) “Copper-catalyzed Domino [1,3]/[1,2] Rearrangement for the Efficient Synthesis of Multisubstituted ortho-Anisidines”, Y. Ishida, I. Nakamura, M. Terada, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, 8629-8633.
(9) “Chiral Phosphoric Acid Catalyzed Enantioselective Ring Expansion Reaction of 1,3-Dithiane Derivatives: Case Study of the Nature of Ion-Pairing Interaction”, F. Li, T. Korenaga, T. Nakanishi, J. Kikuchi, M. Terada, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, 2629-2642.
(10) “Enantioselective Formal [3+2] Cycloaddition of Epoxides with Imines under Brønsted Base Catalysis: Synthesis of 1,3‐Oxazolidines with Quaternary Stereogenic Center” Azusa Kondoh, Shiori Akahira, Masafumi Oishi, Masahiro Terada, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 6299-6303.